Another week gone by..

Well, another week has gone by. This experience is going really well and I'm having a really great time, but I am exhausted! All I seem to want to do is sleep. I might go to bed soon, and it's not even 9 o'clock! I really don't know why I'm so exhausted. Maybe it's a combination of the heat, the new environment, and all the math we do. Not really sure...

But to fill you in a bit on how things are going: Ariel, my research partner, and I live in a suite on the fourth floor of a building called Red Cedar Hall. It's a really nice suite with a kitchen, living room, four bedrooms and a bathroom area that has a HUGE shower (relative to most dorms, anyways). There is one other girl that lives with us and she is super sweet. She's a biology research student and she gives us rides to campus each morning. This is really nice since our dorm is a twenty minute walk from the science building.

The weather here is hotter than I expected and super humid. My hair is constantly frizzy and it doesn't seem to care what I want to do with it. It's a good thing I never do anything with it anyways.

We work from 9-12 every morning, then have an hour for lunch, then work from 1-5. Our research is really interesting, but I am not going to try to explain it here. All I'll say is it is in Algebraic Geometry, and leave it at that. It's hard, and I didn't know anything about it until I got here, so it's an interesting experience to try to learn it all and then research in it at the same time.

But this week I got a nice surprise! Dad and Uncle Tom stopped by for lunch on Friday on their way to Minnesota. It was really nice to see them even if only for an hour.

We went to a farmer's market today and I got some delicious homemade bread and fresh carrots. It was really cool to see all the local vendors. I definitely want to go again before heading home. I had some brown bananas at the dorm so when we got back I made some of my own homemade banana bread, and I think it turned out quite well. :) It is always interesting to try to understand a new oven.

Well, Ariel and I have finished putting together our presentation for Monday. Now we just have to write our paper that's due Monday, too. I guess I'll go...

Comments

Popular Posts