Snow, Studying, and Slacking off

There is officially snow in Connecticut again! When I walk outside I now have to watch my step because, much to my dismay, my winter boots bit the dust right at the peak of winter. I love the snow though, so I am glad it is here. Otherwise it would be an ugly, brown winter, which frankly isn't my thing.

I have been trying (that's the key word here) to study for my prelim which is coming up in just a couple of weeks. However, I completely fail at studying at home. I am way too easily distracted by my TV, my computer, my dishes.. That's right. I would rather clean than study when I am at home. It's a dangerous thing. And with the snow storm that was predicted for Thursday night into Friday, guess what I did? I stayed home. Disaster. Yes, I did get some dishes done. Yes, I did bake some banana bread. Yes, I did read a chapter of my algebra book. But I should have gotten so much more done! Ugh.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really cut out for this business of math grad school. I mean, come on. For anyone who knows me, you know that I absolutely hate studying. I LOVE math, but I hate studying for it! It is pure torture for me to try to read a chapter of a math book when I know that I have to. I sit at my desk and read a page, then stare longingly at my laptop, then read another page and then stare longingly at... just about anything that is near me. But then... I remember why I like it. Math is so interesting (I know not everyone agrees with this; I'm not completely unaware of the general disdain for my favorite subject).  I mean, even learning about greatest common divisors fascinates me. So maybe I can make it through grad school... I'll just have to keep reminding myself that even though it is called studying and I hate studying, that what I am really doing is learning about something that does interest me. And for this winter break, that thing is Abstract Algebra. So... I bid you adieu and return to my chapter on Polynomial Rings after which I will then move on to Module Theory. But before I go, look at the nice little white board I bought so I could work through proofs while I read! This way I won't waste as much paper!

Don't forget kids - Math is fun!

Comments

Popular Posts