Day 02 - My First Love, In Great Detail

Let me take you back to readiness (a grade between kindergarten and first grade). This is where it all began. I had my friends and my best friends, all of whom were girls. Then there were the boys. At this age, all we wanted to do was either be chased by the boys, or chase them ourselves. Of course we would never admit it; instead we would scream across the field, ducking behind playground equipment, tucking ourselves into hiding spots by the school building. Occasionally there would be a random boy who, feeling bad for us, would run with us instead of after us. These boys were our protectors, and they would get between the other boys and ourselves. You might guess that my readiness self would fall for a protector, but there you would be mistaken. Apparently, my childhood self loved the bad boys, because I fell for them instead.

First grade brought with it some change of heart in us children. We began to play together, and girls and boys began to develop "crushes" on one another. We would play "Penguins", and "Cats", and "Princes and Princesses". It was during two of these games that my dreams came true.

You see, I had developed a minor crush on one of the boys, Andy. And this crush had begun in Readiness, while he was chasing me across the playground. So when he invited me to play "Penguins" with the boys at recess, of course I agreed. Little did I know that this would involve me being the mother penguin and marrying one of my (and every other girl in the class') arch nemesis. Understandably, I forcefully rejected this idea, and said I would rather not play. Then it happened.

Andy said he would be the Dad penguin instead! He wanted to marry ME! (Can you see how carried away a first grader gets??) Needless to say, I was ecstatic. But I still would not reveal my "love".

The other game was "Princes and Princesses". To make a long story short, another girl and myself were the two princesses and Andy was the Prince. He chose me as "his" princess, and I happily followed him around the playground, his faithful girl.

But our story has a sad ending. I never told him how I felt.




:)
Good thing first grade crushes change in an instant.

Comments

Popular Posts